"Even without success, creative persons find joy in a job well done. Learning for its own sake is rewarding."

8 Sep 2014

Another configuration box! (Cutting file)

This was another project I started doing on holiday (vacation). This time its more of a summer/ beach theme being as my holiday location was in a beach town in Cornwall.

I bought the house shape box from a local discount store ( Buyology). I coloured it with Ranger distress inks Evergreen Bough and Mustard seed. I had to use a brush to get into the corners of the squres. I lined the house with paper that came free with a magazine. I can't rememebr what the paper was.

I stamped a few text around the box with some brown archival ink. The contents if the boxes were  either bought ( fish, shells and compass) in shops we visited  or made  ( life belt, anchor and bows). The e blue heart I took with me and is from another configuration box I made ages ago and I decided I didn't like so took it apart again.

The leaves are a ribbon I found in the cake making section of a hardware store we visited again during our holiday.
The compass is adhered to a cork from a wine bottle we had. It brought the compass forward because it looked a bit lost at the back of the box section.
I made the anchor today  to finish it off. I cut it with my Pazzles from chipboard added some dimensional paint and covered it with copper wax guilt from Treasure. The anchor has plaited twine around it.

The life belt was made by cutting out the circles and adhering the red to the white circle. I used my bone folder to curve the belt. I then wrapped some twine around it.
The shell in the left was placed on some netting to resemble fishing net and a few beads were glued to it to add interest.
The bows are again made from twine just to bring it all together and there you have it finished!

If you would like the anchor cutting file you can download it from HERE


Photobucket

6 Sep 2014

Silhouette Pixscan mat

I bought a Silhouete Cameo Pixscan mat and it arrived yesterday so of course I've had a little play with it.
I personally didn't find it as straight forward as the company make out. I had difficulty getting the lighting correct so the camera could  produced a good quality photo of the calibration page. Once that was done properly fair play the software identified my camera which was good.
I tried to cut out some things using the camera method and I was very disappointed. It took a few attempts for the machine to recognise the registration marks but I finally got there.   The cut was a little off on one cut but way off on another.
As you can see in my photo the heart inside the circle was cut  sligthly lower (1.5mm) than the actual shape.

The bird on the heart was 3mm off the design. The shape should have been all pink but as you can see its not!
I cut another heart and again it was about 1mm off line. This was a black hear with apink pattern in the centre but the edge on one side showed the white surrounding paper.

I figured that maybe the fault was in  the way I took a photo of the mat.

I thought it might be better to use my printer scanner instead. I followed the instructional video given by Graphtec but my scanner wasn't even detected by the software so that was a total failure.

I'll reserve judgement on this Pixscan until I've asked on a few forums and given it a few tries..........

How has anyone else got on with it???

Photobucket

2 Sep 2014

Nanny's boys album

I've been on holiday (vacation) for the last two weeks. It was a lovely relaxing time and I did manage to do some crafting.
Unfortunately I didn't have all the tools and stash with me to complete the three projects I started. Its something I can finish now I'm back home.

Well sort of because I'm also back in work after the summer break. They next few weeks will be busy meeting my new students and sorting out their work so I hope to fit in some crafting as well!

Tonight I finished constructing a mini album for my mother in law. I want to update the photos she has of her great grandsons especially as they are now turning two.


The album is a simple one with pages and cover bound with the "Bind it all. I used the Papermania dots and stripes collection. Its nice and bright so suitable for young photos.

I just used cereal packet cardboard for the covers. I cut out the lettering and mat using my Pazzles. It seems to be giving me a much cleaner cut since I replace the cutting strip. The flower and picture are things I had in my stash.I used the Bind It Al to cut some holes on the open end  and threaded some green ribbon through the holes to use as closures.




The pages were 12 x 12 papers folded in half and adhered  around the edges. I matted the pages  with plain paper because using  more patterned paper would be too much.

 I used stickers and pictures  to decorate each page. each page and drew various patterns around the edges of the mats. Of course I tried to use pictures that showed the  grandson's interests. One grandson loves Thomas the Tank engine and the other one just loves his cars!!

For the inserts I kept to the same theme. I cut out them from the left over dots and strips and again  mated them with plain paper and decorated them in the same way as the pages. Again I decorated them with what ever stickers and pictures I had left in my stash.
You'll have to excuse the pictures for some reason my computer wouldn't let me rotate them! That's my excuse anyway LOL

All I need to do to finish it completely  is to buy some ink cartridges for my printer, print off some photos and add them to the album .

 Its nice to do some albums again.  I have another one to finish but that's for another post.............. stay tuned folks

Photobucket