"Even without success, creative persons find joy in a job well done. Learning for its own sake is rewarding."

13 Jun 2014

Flowers (Hydrangea cutting file)

I've been having a play at making some 3D flowers. I made these lilies when I was a bit poorly and to be honest they dare not the best I am capable of. I think I just need to get my eye back in focus because my gluing was atrocious, especially with the lilies. For the pinky/purplish lilies I use Penny Duncan's Lily cutting file and followed her instructions... except that I used the old guitar strings from hubby's guitar!! He was throwing them out.... really he was!!
The ends of the strings had these little eyelets type things that looked great as the stamen for the flowers.
The orange lilies were one of Lia Griffith's Easter lily templates. They are free to download and print off Again I simply followed her directions on that page. I struggled a bit with the stems because the flower wire was too thin. It worked better using wooden skewers but they don't bend. Someone online suggested using straws and splitting one end to form 4 arms that you an adhered to the back of the flower to hold the flower and form the stem. Bendy straws meant you could bed a few to give further dimension to the flower. I haven't tried that yet.
Now I'm feeling better  I decided to make a hydrangea flower in a pot. Originally I was going to make a vase but my attempts were not very good and that's putting it mildly!
Instead I used a pottery flower pot I had in the cupboard and cut a polystyrene ball in half to fit in the pot.
I painted the ball green using some acrylic paint. I used my Cameo and Pazzles to create and cut out a mass of purple and pink four petal flowers and edged them with some distress inks. It was so funny I had both the Pazzles and Cameo working at the simultaneously using the Make the Cut Software. I was amazed how well the machines worked together. I used basic pink and purple cardstock from my stash. I used two colours to make the hydrangea look more realistic. I curled up the petals using a large ball embossing tools to give the flowers some dimension.

Next I put a white dot in the centre  of each flower using a Sharpies white pen. This is a new pen and wow! its the best I've found so far!
I then glued the flowers to the polystyrene ball with Tombow general glue.
I cut out the leaves again using my Cameo then embossed them to create the lines of the leaves.
There you have it a pot of hydrangea!

You can download the petal and leaves cutting files from HERE

I am please with the hydrangea  and the lilies look OK ..... from a distance, but they look good against my black fire front.  I might try to make the lilies again now I'm feeling better.

Photobucket

4 Jun 2014

Revamped Photo frames

As I said in my last post, I have bought some Treasure Gold Wax during a multimedia workshop and have an idea of where to use it..
I have had three white photo frames for many years and hubby doesn't like them. They are made of a white unglazed pottery.
I decided to revamp the frames and give them a new life.

First I painted the frame with yellow ochre acrylic paint and let it dry. It took ages t paint because I had to make sure all the nooks and crannies were painted and didn't show any white. I left the frame to dry thoroughly ( overnight). Finally I rubbed the gold wax over the frame .  First I used my finger to rub the wax but that didn't get into the folds and detail etc so I changed to using a brush. All it needed was to lightly brush the wax over the frame.
I was pleased with the result and it looks quite antique. Ive finished two frames and just have to put the wax onto the last one and it'll be finished!!  Best of .....all hubby likes the transformation!!

Photobucket

2 Jun 2014

Mixed media class

I went to my local scrappers crop last week for a mixed media workshop. Oh what a great time I had. No mater how long you've been crafting there are always new tricks and techniques to learn!
First of all we did a 6x6 canvas and added some molding paste then painted over the canvas with different colours.
 We stamped the flowers and butterflies onto tissue paper, painted them and adhered them to the canvas.

Sorry the photo isn't clear , my hand must have been shaking  ... well that's my excuse for the out of focus photo!!

Next we did a small deep canvas. We painted then crumpled up some flowers and stamped them. WE painted the leaves and button, then coated them with Trasure Gold Wax.
We stamped the saying and I added some crackle accents to finish it off.  Oh, yes we also edged the canvas with the gold wax.

I love the wax so of course I had to buy some!! I have an idea of what to use it on next...........

Photobucket

1 Jun 2014

Back in the land of the living!

Helloooooo,
After a few months of illness, including an ambulance trip to hospital and an emergency procedure I finally feel back to my old self.

As you can imagine I haven't done a great deal of crafting but I hae started to get back into it.
My nephew and wife have just had a baby boy so of course I've made a card to say congratulations.



A it was my first project in a while I kept it simple. I used light blue card stock ad matted some graphic 45 paper left over from the baby albums I did a while back.  I cut out this Tattered Lace pram die and covered it in two different coloured blue fine glitter and adhered it to the card. I added to clear gems to the wheels. I cut out the lettering using my Cameo and added some dashed lines to the edges of the card and the lettering. I finished the lettering with a little bit of glitter. There you have it!

Photobucket