"Even without success, creative persons find joy in a job well done. Learning for its own sake is rewarding."

24 Jan 2014

Spring fold birthday card (cutting file)

Hellooooo,
I've been struggling to think of an idea for hubby's birthday card and so went surfing Pinterest and saw a couple fo spring fold cards. I hunted Youtube to find out how you make the card and developed my card from there. If you don't have a cutting machine then simply follow the instructions on this Youtube  tutorial.
Needless to say I tried to figure out how I can transfer it to a cutting file so that I could cut out his name and greeting to go on the top. It wasn't difficult once I'd worked it out on a piece of scrap paper first. 

 Where she cut the top into a diamond shape I left it  as a  stright top so that I could write a greeting.
Hubby has come to expect his name on his cards since I started doing this a few years ago so thats what I did.
I also inset the lettering and triangular shapes so that I could give it some depth by mattting and layering. I also edged the card with some Antique Linen Distress Ink (Tim Holtz). The paper is from two pads (1 plain colours and 1 patterned)  I bought at my local Lidl's supermarket. It was cheap stuff but I can't get over how  the quality is so good (250-270gsm). The brown paper is the back of one on Tim Holtz Idealogy sheets.
I matted and layered the bottom section then stamped the greeting with Versamark and heat embossed with white embossing powder.
 I haven't permanently stuck down the bottom either because I wanted to use that bottom section for the writing. I know its suppose to be stuck down but I thought . I could either put a dot of Velcro  there so that it will hold down after he has viewed the  greeting or simply fold the bottom section back on itself which allows the rest of the card to stand up.
The card needed some kind of embellishment at the bottom but I struggled to know what. A flower would be too feminine, I tried some coin type embellies but they didn't look right either. I found some wooden shapes and adhered some gems to one of them, then cut out a curcle of the brown colour card used to matt the other parts of the card.
 
If you would like to use this file you can download it from HERE. The file has SVG, Studio and MTC formats included. Obviously not many of you want the name on the top so simply cut the wording  away and create your own , weld the letters together then weld it to the top of the rectangle shape.I used Pork's font which is free to download from HERE.  Come to think of it you could weld anything you want on the top and make it your own.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Looking forward to playing with this style. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time.