"Even without success, creative persons find joy in a job well done. Learning for its own sake is rewarding."

25 Nov 2013

Desk tidy

I saw a lovely project via the Graphics45 website and decided to have a go at it myself. I thought I'd try it out using  papers I already have.
I am really trying to get my paper stash down somewhat. I am slowly beginning to see some space  in my paper box. It's a small space but  at least it is progress in using up my papers! Some of the paper was Tim Holtz paper. I can;t remember the other paper so I'll let you know what it is next time.


Anyway, back to the project. It's  book boxes  made up to be  a desk tidy.
I've started 3 "books" so far and have one more to make.
You can see the video tutorial by the originator HERE. She doesn't say what sizes her books were but I made mine 5x5 x2 inches. I guess you can make them any size you want.
My covers are made from  two 5x5 inches chipboard/cardboard with a 2x5 inch spine. The "pages" of the book I made differently to the video I cut a strip of chipboard  1 3/4 inches wide and 9 inches long. I then scored a line across the strip at 4 3/4 inches and folded the strip to create the page effect. I adhered that using my glue gun. I covered the  "pages"  section with printer paper that I had run through one of those pleating gadgets.

Once I've done the 4th "book" I will add some embellishments and more decorations.

I have ordered some paper-mache book boxes that I will cover and use to keep bits and pieces  on my desk as well as the desk tidy.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I saw that tutorial as well. Saved it-going to try it. Love yours.
    It's a shame how much we hoard up! I've been using bits & pieces as well. Makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your dimensions so I can make my own rather having to buy the paper mache books. I also saw this video on G45 site. But I like to use what a have. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this would be awesome to hold the 6x6" paper I have...of course I'd have to INCREASE the size of my 'books.' Right now I have my 6x6" papers in this: http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/?page=view-shape&id=45288 which is OKAY...but I like the idea of using chipboard to be sturdier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jann thats a great idea, I don't have a lot of 6x6 papers but what I do have are stiuffed in a large box with some other things and they are getting crumpled. The beauty of these 'books' is you can make then any size you want.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time.