"Even without success, creative persons find joy in a job well done. Learning for its own sake is rewarding."

2 May 2012

Altered Box

Its certainly been a quick learning curve doing my first altered box. The first thing I learned was even though you coat your box with gesso you must remember to sand the box first otherwise the paint and the gesso will peel off!! yes you guest it. my first attempt at painting my box resulted in me having to peel it all off again when parts began to peel anyway so I had to start again from scratch...... humphhhhh.....
Every cloud has a silver lining so the saying goes and it was too in my case. I didn't like the colour  of my first paint once it was dry, it was too dark so I was able to use a better colour second time around. I used some household  emulsion paint in a creamy/ magnolia colour. When that was dry I coated the lid with some Ranger Tattered Rose Crackle paint and left it to dry. The emulsion  left a slight uneven finish so it matched well with the distressed/aged effect of the crackle paint. Once dry I gave it all a coat of Mod Podge  just to seal it. I dabbed some gold paint  to give the box a further distressed look. You'll see that in the finished box picture.
The next stage was to line the box with paper. I just cut strips and adhered the to the sides, lid and floor of the box. I did have an accident when gluing the bottom of the box. The nozzle popped off the  bottle and too much glue spilled into the box. I got most of it out but the paper crinkled because the  base was too wet. I don't think its too noticeable though.
The final stage was to decorate the box with embellishments. I edged the acetate window with some paper lace and then used my glue gun to adhere the flowers and beads. The rose flowers are from Prima. The rest I got from a local bargain store.
I'm quite pleased with my first proper attempt at altered art. I will definitely have a go at altering the other box I have.
Thank you hubby for keeping your Xmas present boxes for me..... A message to you from hubby.... be more discerning when thinking of what you are going to get your partner / boyfriend/ hubby for Christmas...... check the boxes first!! LOL  I can recommend Pringle socks....... they come in good strong boxes ;-)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time.